Easy Bug (orange)
Sunday, 20 October 2013 | JP
Easy Bug (orange) - a quick tie, perfect for those who struggle to tie shrimps with a shellback.
Hook: Fish On Curved
Bead: Fish On countersunk tungsten
Thread: Fish On UTS
Dubbing: Fish On Shimmer-dub
Rib: Fish On wire 0.18 (red)
The tying for this pattern couldn't be simpler.
1. Place your tungsten bead on the hook 2.0mm bead on a size 16 - 2.5mm bead on a size 14 or 3.0mm on a size 12.
2. Lay on a bed of Fish On UTS (Matching the thread colour on this pattern helps keep the colour vivid when the fly is wet).
3. Tie in the wire rib at the back of the fly (a contrasting bright coloured wire helps emphasize the segmented effect).
4. Dub on the Shimmer-dub (with the tying silk at the base of the fly)
5. Wind the dubbing up to the bead in touching turns.
6. Wind the wire over the dubbing in open turns and tie off behind the bead.
7. End with a whip finish. (Tip - add a tiny pinch of dubbing to your thread just before you whip finish to hide the thread wraps behind the bead).
For an added shrimp like effect use a dubbing brush to brush the dubbing fibres downward creating that leggy effect on the underside of the fly.
Try this pattern in a range of colours. Orange and pink are our go to colours but it's always handy to have one or two extra colours to change to when the going gets tough. Remember... grayling are sukkers for a change!
The Fish On Team