Sunday, 20 October 2013 | JP
Body/Rib Bug - another simple tie but still a super effective pattern.
Hook: Fish On Curved
Bead: Fish On countersunk tungsten
Thread: Fish On UTS
Dubbing: Fish On NBC (Nymph Bug Caddis)
Rib: Fish On Ultimate Body/Rib (round)
The tying for this pattern is simple (basically a simplified version of the JP caddis pupa). You can vary the dubbing, rib and bead colours however you like. Using yellow UTS under natural coloured dubbings gives a lovely insect like look to these flies when the dubbing becomes wet.
1. Place your tungsten bead on the hook 2.0mm bead on a size 16 - 2.5mm bead on a size 14 or 3.0mm on a size 12.
2. Lay on a bed of Fish On UTS
3. Tie in the Ulyimate Body/Rib at the back of the fly.
4. Dub on the NBC (with the tying silk at the base of the fly)
5. Wind the dubbing up to the bead in touching turns.
6. Brush out the dubbing as much as possible with a dubbing brush or velcro.
7. Wind the rib over the dubbing in open turns and tie off behind the bead.
8. Add some more NBC dubbed loosely behind the bead and end with a whip finish.
9. Brush out the loose dubbing behind the bead to give an almost hackled effect.
The Fish On Team